Metropolitan GetUp Privacy Notice
Metropolitan GetUp is committed to protecting the privacy of the individuals and businesses we encounter in conducting our own business.
This notice explains how Metropolitan GetUp collects, uses and shares your personal information.
Who are we?
Metropolitan GetUp is a part of Momentum Metropolitan Life Ltd, a long term insurer, authorised financial services provider and registered credit provider.
Why will we collect your personal information?
We collect personal information from you:
- To provide you with our services and products;
- To help us make our products and services more relevant to you; and
- For other purposes as disclosed to you.
How does Metropolitan GetUp collect your personal information?
Metropolitan GetUp collects your personal information:
- Directly from you (for example, when you purchase a product or service from us);
- Indirectly (for example, for fraud prevention purposes).
What personal information will you collect?
We will only collect what we need for the purpose that we have disclosed to you. This personal information may include: your names, identifying numbers, contact information, medical information, bank details, recordings of telephone calls to Metropolitan GetUp, relationships, addresses and other personal information that we may require.
Where possible, we will inform you of the difference between personal information you are obliged to provide and personal information that you do not have to provide.
When will you collect my personal information?
We may collect your personal information at any time. Mostly we will collect your personal information when you buy a product or service but we may also collect your personal information at other times (for example, when a claim is made).
How will you use my personal information?
We will use your personal information only for the purpose for which it was collected. Examples are:
- To provide the goods and services you purchased from us;
- To carry out a transaction requested by you;
- To process a claim;
- To confirm and verify your identity;
- For the detection and prevention of fraud, crime, money laundering or other illegal activities;
- In connection with legal proceedings;
- To comply with regulatory requirements;
- To protect your interests.
Although we would like to keep you informed of financial products and services that may be of interest to you, we provide you with the opportunity to opt out of further communications. You may not opt out of communications regarding any product or service that you currently own.
How will you protect my personal information?
We undertake reasonable steps to protect your personal information in our possession against unlawful access or use. We will do this by, for example:
- Shredding paper;
- Securing computer networks and individual computers;
- Entering into contracts with third parties to ensure that any personal information they have is secured appropriately.
When do you share my personal information?
We may share your personal information with service providers who are involved in the delivery of our products or services to you. We enter into agreements with these service providers to ensure they protect your personal information. We may also share your personal information with or obtain your personal information from:
- Third parties as specified above;
- Other insurers to prevent fraudulent claims;
- Other companies in the Momentum Metropolitan Group of companies if you have not objected to such sharing;
- Third Parties to conduct research to improve our products or services.
We may share your personal information if:
- We have a right or duty to do so by law;
- If it is necessary for us to protect our rights;
- It is necessary for us to pursue our legitimate interests.
How can I find out what personal information of mine you have?
You can contact us on the numbers listed below. You can ask us either:
- Do you have my personal information?
- We will either confirm or deny this.
- What personal information of mine do you have?
- We will send you a copy of your personal information we hold. We may charge a reasonable fee to provide you with the copy of the personal information. We will take reasonable steps to confirm your identity before providing any information.
Can I correct my personal information?
You can update your own or ask us to update, correct or delete your personal information. You may do this by logging in to your personal profile or emailing us at the email address below. We will take reasonable steps to confirm your identity before changing any personal information.
How long do you retain my personal information?
We retain your personal information for the period necessary to complete the purpose for which we collected it. In many circumstances, a longer period of retention is required by law.
Can I provide you with the personal information of other persons
If you provide personal information about another person to Metropolitan GetUp, you agree to (a) inform them about this Privacy Notice and (b) obtain any required consent for the collection, use, disclosure or transfer of their personal information.
Our website and your personal information
Our website may collect specific personal information. This may be collected through your browser and may include information such as your IP address, screen resolution, operating system type, bowser type and other similar information. This information is used to diagnose server problems and to calculate site usage levels.
Updating this policy
We reserve the right to amend this Policy from time to time.
Visit us: www.metgetup.co.za
You have a right to contact the Information Regulator:
Information Regulator www.justice.gov.za/inforeg/
Tel: 012 406 4818
Last update: 29/10/2019